We are sharing the City of Asheville's update regarding flooding and road closures. Photo of Amboy Road at French Broad River Park by Zen Sutherland.
Flood waters force road closures
ASHEVILLE – High river levels have impacted several roadways, making them impassable to vehicle traffic. To ensure the public’s safety, the City of Asheville has barricaded certain roadways along the French Broad and Swannanoa Rivers and detoured traffic onto alternate routes.
The following roads are currently closed to traffic:
- Lyman Street near Riverside Drive (at 12 Bones).
- Riverside Drive under the train trestle from Hillside Drive to Amboy Road.
- Sections of Amboy Road.
- Azalea Road east at the soccer fields.
- Swannanoa River Road from Caledonia Road to Glendale Road.
- Emma Road at Craven Street to the railroad trestle.
Barricades are placed at locations that give drivers an opportunity to take an alternate route. High water across roadways should be considered hazardous. Do not try to drive across water standing on roads.
To report water across roadways, please call (828) 250-6650.
The National Weather Service has extended a flood warning for Asheville and Buncombe County and surrounding areas until Tuesday evening. Find more information at www.weather.gov.
This press release can be found online at www.ashevillenc.gov.